Monday, July 11, 2011

That Is Not My Call

Following a severe thunder storm my wife asked our five year old granddaughter, if the storm had frightened her. She replied, “We were out in it and it frightened me some. I said a little prayer asking God to make it stop. Then I thought that is not my call is it?”

It amazes me how, not realizing it, children can be incredibly profound. Her response had no element of fear or frustration over the situation being completely out of her hand. She was content to know it was in God’s hands. I pray that simple sense of trust will follow her and will comfort her when she grows older and the storms of life swirl around her.

Her response brought to mind a sermon I heard at a pastor’s conference early in my ministry. I can’t remember the preacher’s name but I remember the sermon title, the scripture and the three points he brought forward. The title was “God of the Whirlwind.” His scripture was Nahum 1”3b: “In whirlwind and storm is His way and clouds are the dust beneath His feet (NASB).” His three points were God was before the whirlwind, God was in the whirlwind and God will be there when the whirlwind is over.

It appears to me this is an important message for our generation, since we tend to move from one whirlwind to another. The storms of uncertainty in our country today are blowing hard. It seems to me that the fear and frustration among our people grows with each passing day. Much of this unrest revolves around the economic conditions in the country. For many Christians, the greatest storm is the downward spiral of standards of morality. For others it is the fear brought about by medical problems. The list of possible life crippling whirlwinds could go on forever and still miss the one in your life.

Whatever the whirlwind is in your life, I have good news for you from the not so well known prophet, Nahum.

“The Lord is good, (Perfect)
A stronghold in the day of trouble, (Powerful)
And He knows those who take refuge in Him.” (Personal)
Nahum 1:7 NASB (bold print added)

Prayer: Lord, help each one of us to take our eyes off the whirlwind in our life and to focus on the perfect, powerful and personal God who we worship. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment