Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reflections for May 27, 2009

In his book, Half Time, Changing your Game Plan from Success to Significance, Bob Buford shared an encounter he had with Mike Kami, a strategic planning consultant. In the course of their discussions, Bob was presented with the question, "What's in your box?" The point was that we can never fully develop the thing we hold most precious until we identify what it is. When faced with making a choice, Bob chose to place Christ in his box. He wrote, "No one had ever put such a significant question to me so directly. After a few minutes (which seemed like hours), I said, ‘Well, if it has to be one or the other, I'll put Jesus Christ in the box.

"It was an act of faith, and it was a daunting challenge to me to be open to change and adventure. Even more that that, it was a commitment to do something about the faith I already had. By acknowledging Christ as my guiding light, I had invoked the promise that he would direct my paths. Not matter where they took, me."

You would think this would be an easy question for a Christian to answer. The scripture is clear on the subject. When the disciples asked Jesus, what is the greatest commandment in the Law, He replied, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment" (Matthew 22:36, 37 NASB). The love this commandment demands shows itself in a life of obedience. In fact, Jesus clearly said, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (John 14:15 NASB).

Despite such clear directions, most Christians fail to experience the fullness of God's love in their lives. They are happy to settle for the hope of heaven some day. They seem to think that being in church on Sunday is sufficient to demonstrate their love. During the week, they let the things of this world push God down their list of priorities. God becomes like a spare tire. They only call upon Him when there is an emergency.

The tragedy in all this is so many miss the blessings of having a daily intimate walk with their God. Listen to the promises Jesus made for those who faithfully follow Him: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy, I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly" (John 19:10 NASB). "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful" John 14:27 NASB). "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full" (John 15"11 NASB). Christ offers abundance, peace and joy. All He asks is that we follow Him.

If you find you rarely experience these promised gifts, you may want to ask yourself the question, "What is in my box?"

No comments:

Post a Comment