Friday, April 30, 2010

Reflections for April 30, 2010

"The Most Important Verse in the Bible"

If someone asked you what the most important verse in the Bible was, what would your answer be? I can think of many possible answers. Each time I believe I have found my most important verse I discover another one that speaks more loudly to my heart. The verse I have chosen to write about this week rarely makes the cut on people’s most important list. Yet, I believe it is the most important. The verse I have chosen is Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth” (HCSB).

I can almost hear the gasp of many who would ask, why that verse? If you take time to consider the magnitude of such a statement, you might understand the faith it takes to belief it. When you read further, you discover the word “let” over and over again. It is significant because it does not allow for God to gather materials from all over the galaxies with which He would create a new world. It literally means He spoke it into being. Think about the complexities of our world and you can understand the awesomeness of the one who created it by simply saying “let there be”.

Why is it important? It is important because, if one does not accept the first claim made in a book, he/she is unlikely to accept the claims made throughout the remainder of it. On the other hand, if one accepts this verse as a fact, everything else the book claims does not seem to be difficult. A God who can speak the world into existence has no problem parting a great sea, making the sun stand still, making an axe head float, making a donkey speak, sending His angels to take up one of His faithful prophets in a flaming chariot, etc. If one believes this verse, he/she is well prepared to answer the question posed by God to the Prophet Jeremiah: “Look, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too difficult for Me” (Jeremiah 32:27 HCSB)? For those who believe the answer is a resounding NO, nothing is too difficult for you, Lord. This means there is no problem I have that is beyond His control and ability to fix.

Once I had accepted fully Genesis 1:1, the next big question for me was, why would such an awesome God care for someone like me? Yet He does. This leads me to my second most important verse, which is John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life” (NASB). God’s love for the world clearly includes me. While I still may not understand why he has chosen to love me, I can humbly accept His love and rejoice, because, after all, He did create this world and He can do as He chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment