Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mama's Boy

Mama's Boy
By David Lynn

“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:43-45 NIV)

Question to consider: What type of fruit do you bear?

My wife insists that I’m a momma’s boy. To most people that remark would be offensive, but in my case, I wear the title with a sense of pride. I can’t describe a lifetime of learning experiences, but I would like to share a few sound bites that my mother has etched into my mind. These expressions represent a legacy my mother continues to build.

“Grace and peace.” This is the message I hear every time my family leaves my parents’ house two hours away. My mother prays with us before we leave, and it’s her way of asking God to keep us safe as we travel.

“Here is a verse for the day.” I can't tell you how many times my mother has shared a Scripture verse with me to help encourage or direct me in some way. I have found these verses in my pocket, in my books, on my breakfast plate, and most recently they appear in my email.

“I'll be praying for you.” Through these simple words, my mother has proven to me time and time again that she is the greatest prayer warrior I know, and I have benefited from her faithfulness my entire life.

“The Lord has laid this on my heart.” If my mother has you on her mind, she is going to pray for you, and it doesn't end there. She will tell you what she feels the Lord is sharing with her. When she shares her wisdom, I listen.
“Here is a heart thought.” These are devotionals that my mother writes and shares with me. They mean the world to me because they are expressions of her thoughts and prayers.

“What is the Lord saying to you?” This is my mother's way of telling me I don't need to be concerned with what I want; I need to listen to what God has to say.

“I love you.” This is the simplest of all messages, but it’s the one that transcends all other messages. It is an unconditional message I have heard and felt my entire life.

I am a momma’s boy because I appreciate, love, and respect my mother's godly example in my life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Scripture teaches that a tree is recognized by its fruit, and I thank God that I have been blessed with the privilege of recognizing the fruits of the Spirit in my mother. Out of the overflow of her heart her mouth speaks, and her love and passion for her Savior Jesus Christ is eternally evident as she continues to build a legacy in my life today.

Prayer for today:
I praise You, God, for giving me a godly mother and godly wife who can leave an eternal legacy with my three young boys. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment